Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Baseball Movies

After the post-game show on YES last night (which they did an excellent job... as usual!) I flipped around and found a movie called "Fear Strikes Out (1957)" about Red Sox center-fielder Jim Piersall and his fight with mental illness. The story was riveting, and I was surprised to find out that he kept playing ball even after being treated in a mental hospital. Anthony Perkins played Piersall... he was brilliant. I think he was scarier here than in "Psycho". If you have a chance to watch this movie, see it... because I can't even imagine a situation like this going on in the majors in this day and age.

We're supposed to be living in a more enlightened world. But sports is obsessed with image, sometimes more than performance, it seems. I have a feeling the poor guy would probably have it worse now. I really do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.