Friday, October 19, 2007

Joe Says Goodbye... for now.

I really had a hard time bringing myself to post this entry... the words are hard to come by. Just watching Joe go to the podium for his last press conference as Yankee manager was a little surreal. But there he was, calm and steady as always. The room was packed.

He confirmed that the deal was what it was, and that it was non-negotiable on their side. He alluded that he knew what was on the table, and maybe there would be some wiggle room. He couldn't accept the deal, and their so-called incentives, and he was right for rejecting it. As he said, "I've been here for twelve years, and I didn't think motivation was needed". His voice gave way a couple of times, especially when he spoke of his players and his coaches... and the fans.

However, he admitted that he felt that the deal was "an insult". For Joe to say this to the public... well it's a big deal for him to say. He spoke well of the boss, and he spoke well of Cashman ... well, he said Cashman stuck up for him last year. And that spoke volumes also.

I didn't want him to get off that podium. I wanted him to stay, at least until first season of the new stadium opening. I want him back next year.

If this organization has one working brain cell left, they will go to him and apologize for their short-sightedness (and stupidity) and give him a deal he truly deserves.

Because this is what's going to happen: they'll get another manager... maybe even a good manager. But he won't be experienced enough or ready to deal with the magnitude of this team, it's bone-headed organization and the media hell he will face every single day. And it won't matter what they do or how they play all year...162 games ultimately don't matter to them, or how packed the stadium is without exception. Because all they care about is post-season. So, this is what I predict (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this) ... when this team and it's coaching staff fall apart, they will go to Joe on their knees... their knees I tell you... and they better be wearing really good knee-pads.

No comments: